Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ramis on Comedy

In the book "And Here's the Kicker", there are many interviews with famous/ established comedy writers and what they think about their profession and comedy in general.

One interview inparticular I really liked reading was with Harold Ramis, who wrote Ghostbusters and Caddyshack and many other great 80's comedies (as well as being a pretty good director in the comedy genre). Before he wrote those movies he worked at Second City and wrote for SCTV. He said that SCTV was good because it was obscure and they embraced their obscurity. I like to think the comedy that I write and will be doing in my sketch show is obscure and underground.

I feel that the comedy we do is much more creative and "out-there" compared to what I see other students doing. I don't find a lot of the videos I see unique or very creative. I hope that what we are going to do is obscure and will get people watching because it is so underground and punk-like. As Ramis said, SCTV were the underdogs comapred to SNL. I think that is what we are. We don't have a lot of people backing us, we don't have a lot of connections and materials. We have to focus on being creative, trying to be funny, and doing something new and on our own.

I prefer to work like that too I think. That way we can come out of the blind side and hit people with something their not expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment