Saturday, September 17, 2011

Some writing, more needed

Recently, I have just been working on writing the sketches for the television show. The ones I have written I am pretty happy with. They are short, but so far I have received a good response from the people who I have shown them too. Hopefully, they will translate well to the screen. I have a good feeling about them though.

I still need more sketches. I have other ideas, but a lot of them may be out of the realms of what I will be able to work with. I know other ideas will come to me, but I need to stop forcing them, since that is when nothing comes to me.

I have been watching The Kids in the Hall and paying close attention to how they structure their sketches, as well as the content within them. I find them very funny because the sketches are, at times, very strange (or the idea around the character(s) scenarios is weird). The sketches can be pretty smart too, which I think makes them funnier. I would like my sketches to be within the same realm as theirs in a sense. Though, my ideas don't tend to be so outrageous to start with, but the endings of them should have a type of shock element to them. I think that is how good comedy works, since you don't see the joke coming.

Also, with The Kids in the Hall, in the later series they are sketches that continue throughout the episode. That was how I was planning on doing mine. Have one major sketch, with a story arch, and placing mini ones in between. This idea comes up in another show that I will mention in my next post.

Here is a sketch from The Kids in the Hall I think is really smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment